[python-uk] Static site generators with Python

Steve - Gadget Barnes gadgetsteve at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 3 15:17:21 EDT 2016

On 03/09/2016 18:19, Andy Robinson wrote:
> Steve, thanks for this.
>
> For the use case I have in mind - running club web site, all info public
> - typically 3-5 people in a club would use the GitHub raw web UI to
> create a new markdown file, hit commit and it's live. No branches or
> pull requests ever.  A handful of others would have set up the CSS and
> templating. And they can change a sentence from anywhere.  We have
> already tested with enough naive users and it works fine.
>
> This completely fixes the old "single point of failure" with one
> webmaster who went on holiday, yet with far less to go wrong - no MySQL
> database etc, redundant infrastructure, great performance.
>
> We will be doing a lot of fun stuff providing separate "dynamic"
> features with front end widgets that can fetch a JSON file and format it.
>
> So the only issue is picking a nice static site generator and hooking it
> all up. Obviously I prefer Python and now I know we don't need to
> maintain any infrastructure. So, thanks again?
>
> Sorry to top post but anything else on my iPhone is a nightmarish ordeal.
>
> Andy
>
> On Saturday, 3 September 2016, Stestagg <stestagg at gmail.com
> <mailto:stestagg at gmail.com>> wrote:

Andy,

You might find this GilLab article useful as well:
https://about.gitlab.com/2016/08/26/ci-deployment-and-environments/

While it concentrates on deployment you can also perform build steps,
such as running a static python website generator like hyde
automatically on each push.

A different Steve.

--
Steve (Gadget) Barnes