[python-uk] Educator-Developer forum

Ryan Pepper ryan.pepper at soton.ac.uk
Tue Sep 20 04:42:15 EDT 2016

On Tue, 20 Sep, 2016 at 9:16 AM, Leo Huckvale <leohuckvale at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  At the "Adopt a Teacher/Developer" session at PyCon UK last weekend,
> I and a couple of other developers met with a teacher who suggested
> building a forum/portal/Q&A site for educators and developers to
> interact. The main aims of this would be to provide somewhere:
>
> - where educators could go and ask questions from developers (at
> *any* level, without fear, and preferably at short notice)
> - to continue "ed-dev" dialogue from PyCon throughout the year
> - to build a community around teaching Python in schools
>
>  It was suggested to me that this might fit somewhere under the PSF
> mantle, and that there are already plans afoot to build an education
> site there.
>
>  One of our number is currently setting up an Askbot site, so we can
> get a few developers and educators on board and see how it goes.
>
>  Please get in touch if you have any comments or know of any similar
> projects, or if you want to join in the fun as an educator or
> developer!
>
> Best regards,
> Leo Huckvale

Hi there,

Not sure if you're aware of it already (it might have been mentioned
during the session; I wasn't at PyCon) but an organisation which might
be of interest to you is Computing at Schools [1] which does a number
of things like providing resources, offers courses (such as in Python)
and which offers scholarships for people looking to move into computing
teaching. It has a forum which anyone can sign up for and there are
some discussions there with teachers, and it's part of the British
Computer Society.  Nicholas Tollervey who posts here has some
involvement as he organised some Python training for the micro:bit for
computing school teachers through their network earlier in the year.

[1] https://www.computingatschool.org.uk

Best wishes,

Ryan Pepper
PhD Student
Centre for Doctoral Training in Next Generation Computational Modelling
University of Southampton