[python-uk] Python services within existing .Net infrastructure

Jonathan Hartley tartley at tartley.com
Tue Jan 31 23:25:29 EST 2017

Thanks all.

Hansel - Thank you, that makes sense. I actually already do a mini
version of that at the place I'm leaving, but devs are only using
Linux/Mac host machines, and we only a Linux VM. It's reassuring to hear
that sort of setup is still feasible when extended to Windows hosts, and
Windows VMs too.

I'm tempted to reduce the number of dev configurations we need to
maintain by just holding my nose and using a Windows laptop, same as
everyone else, with a Linux VM on it. That way, I can easily replicate
my setup on any other dev's machine if they want to get involved in the
Python. Would get us up and running quicker, rather than figuring out
every combo of host and VM OS. But maybe expand into doing the full
monty you describe if there's ever more than just me who would like to
work from Linux (or if I get sick of working in a VM the whole time)

     Jonathan

On 01/31/2017 04:49 PM, Hansel Dunlop wrote:

> It should be possible to have your Python app/s in docker containers
> (which can be run anywhere via VirtualBox or natively where available)
> and also run your windows Dev VMs via VirtualBox. Then this setup can
> be replicated across Mac/Linux/Win. That's your Dev environment. Then
> in production you have servers running Windows, and servers running
> Linux with containers on top. Vagrant will make this easyish on Dev
> and Ansible for staging/production. It's not an uncommon setup. All
> Dev machines need a few gigs of RAM.
>
> I mean you basically said this in your question. But it's really quite
> common. And would suit your Linux skills more. Scripting windows? I
> hear it's almost possible now? 😚
>

> On Tue, 31 Jan 2017, 18:13 Jonathan Hartley, <tartley at tartley.com
> <mailto:tartley at tartley.com>> wrote:
>
>     Lots of good thoughts so far, thanks to everyone.
>
>     Anand, I deeply appreciate your contributions, but what exactly
>     did you
>     mean by: "set up Linux containers but make things available on
>     Windows" ?
>

>     On 01/31/2017 10:26 AM, Anand Kumria wrote:
>     > I'd probably start with utilising setting up Linux VMs /
>     containers but
>     > make things available on Windows.
>     >
>     > Keep in mind that .Net (and thus C#, F#) also run on Linux as
>     well, and
>     > those VMs / containers tend to be cheaper overall.
>     >
>     > A
>     >
>     >
>     > On 31/01/17 15:02, Jonathan Hartley wrote:
>     >> Hey all,
>     >>
>     >> I'm joining a small company with an existing service-based
>     >> infrastructure written in C# & F#, on Windows Server on AWS.
>     >>
>     >> They want me to write some new services in Python. I'm wondering
>     >> whether to host these Python services on Linux or on Windows.
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> In favour of Linux:
>     >>
>     >> L1. I'm by far more familiar with Linux.
>     >>
>     >> L2. Linux is Python's natural home. I expect the ecosystem to
>     work at
>     >> its best there.
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> In favour of Windows:
>     >>
>     >> W1. I don't want to put up a barrier to the existing C# devs from
>     >> working on the Python services because they don't have a Linux
>     >> install. (although I guess this is circumvented by them using a VM)
>     >>
>     >> W2. I don't want to cause a devops headache by introducing
>     >> heterogeneous OS choices.
>     >>
> [...]

Jonathan Hartley    tartley at tartley.com    http://tartley.com
Made out of meat.   +1 507-513-1101        twitter/skype: tartley