[python-uk] Reviewing third-party packages

PyUK at getaroundtoit.co.uk PyUK at getaroundtoit.co.uk
Fri Jul 28 18:42:31 EDT 2017

Patrick,

> All of the above are good

=indeed - am still digesting...

> You could also use the following to check for known vulnerabilities
> https://www.openhub.net/explore/projects

Thank you for this - I had forgotten about BlackDuck (have apparently
fallen off their mailing list).

Will have to spend some time settling on some 'acceptable' metrics: just
for fun and because it was the latest import I've typed* I tried PyYAML.
It is reported as "Very Low Activity" and "6 months since last commit".
Perhaps these are basically the same thing? Yet it is a widely used
facility, and one (amongst many on PyPI) I wouldn't even question using...

However, putting such into a check-list would inform discussion at a
code/system review, and enable anyone to interpret and perhaps express
concern, the code-author to defend (with facts cf opinion or emotion),
the team to consciously evaluate, etc. Excellent!

* code review showed that 'new guy' habitually litters his code with
'constants' and parameters, and for whom I've been developing a quick
alternative 'suggestion' in preparation for our next discussion!

--
Regards,
=dn