[python-uk] Online python training for non-programmers

Steve - Gadget Barnes gadgetsteve at hotmail.com
Sun May 7 08:27:48 EDT 2017

On 05/05/2017 10:11, Thomas Guest wrote:
> We have some technical staff where I work who would like to learn how to
> use Python. These are people without a background in programming or
> computer science, including QA engineers, medical scientists, operations
> engineers.
>
> We're on the lookout for online training material which will help them
> learn both the language and the basics of computer science.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations or thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Thomas Guest
> http://wordaligned.org

One suggestion that I would always make is to make consider a start with
Jupyter notebooks.

If you would like to put together some basic python learning with
assessments that are targeted for the specific people or skill sets then
the Jupyter nbgrader, (https://github.com/jupyter/nbgrader), is well
worth a look as you can generate notebooks that allow students to answer
the assignments, in code, and mark the tests manually, automatically and
a mixture.

For good, not free, books I can strongly recommend Python 101 & Python
201 - both by Michael Driscoll
https://www.blog.pythonlibrary.org/buy-the-book/ in various formats.
(Disclaimer: I was one of the 637 backers on the Python 201 kickstarter
campaign).

--
Steve (Gadget) Barnes
those of my employer.