[python-uk] 6 month contract available to work on Jupyter OOMMF in Germany
H.FANGOHR at soton.ac.uk
Mon Apr 30 03:36:58 EDT 2018
We are looking for a software engineer with interest in science or a computational scientist with interest in Software to join the Jupyter-OOMMF development for 6 month at European XFEL (by Hamburg in Germany). Main language is Python.
The work environment is English spoken, and there is a salary bonus for non-Germans. Please see below for some details, or contact Marijan Beg and I with questions.
Application deadline is 15 May.
Join our team
European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques. Early user operation started in September 2017.
To support the contribution from European XFEL to the Horizon 2020 project OpenDreamKit, we are looking for a scientist with very good software skills or a software engineer with interest in science for a period of 6 months. OpenDreamKit has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme Grant agreement No 676541.
Software Engineer – Computational Science (f/m)
* lead and contribute to software design, testing, implementation, refactoring, documentation, and code review of software contributing to OpenDreamKit <http://opendreamkit.org/>
* contribute to the development of the Python interface for the Object Oriented MicroMagnetic Framework (OOMMF<https://math.nist.gov/oommf/>) and its integration into Jupyter <http://jupyter.org/>
* contribute to the dissemination of the resulting package (Jupyter-OOMMF<http://github.com/joommf>) in the form of project documentation and reports, conference contributions, peer-reviewed publications, remote and in-person user support and workshops for JOOMMF users
* attend project meetings, international conferences, and workshops if required
* collaborate with researchers and software engineers from different science domains and institutions
* MSc or equivalent professional experience in Computer Science, Computational Science, Engineering, Physics, or similar (PhD experience welcome)
* Experience working with Linux and version control
* Python programming experience
* Understanding the use of computer simulations in science and engineering
* Experience of using Jupyter notebook
The following is considered an asset:
* experience of using all major operation systems (Windows, MacOS, Linux)
* experience of using common tools and procedures in software engineering (testing, version control, containerization, continuous integration)
* experience working with open source software and associated ecosystem (e.g. GitHub, TravisCI, DockerHub)
* experience of writing API documentation, and tutorials for users
* experience with scientific python libraries (numpy, scipy, pandas)
* interest in visualisation and related packages (matplotlib, seaborn, ...)
* working with scientists
For additional information, please contact Hans Fangohr (hans.fangohr at xfel.eu<mailto:hans.fangohr at xfel.eu>).
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under www.xfel.eu/careers<https://www.xfel.eu/careers>.
The appointment is limited to 6 months. Part time work is possible, and will extend the duration of employment accordingly.
15 May 2018
Please apply online and provide a cover letter next to a CV in English, as well as your work certificates in one single pdf-file.
Prof Hans Fangohr
Senior Data Analysis Scientist
European XFEL GmbH Holzkoppel 4
Phone:+49 (0)40 8998-6702
Fax: +49 (0)40 8998-1905
Email: hans.fangohr at xfel.eu<mailto:hans.fangohr at xfel.eu>
Managing Director: Prof. Dr. Robert Feidenhans’l, Dr. Nicole Elleuche
Registered as European X-Ray Free-Electron Laser Facility GmbH at Amtsgericht Hamburg, HRB 111165
Professor of Computational Modelling
University of Southampton
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the python-uk