[python-win32] FW: COM server and compilation

Richard Cooper Richard.Cooper@youmeus.com
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 11:21:10 +0100

Hi,

Apoligies for sending this to two lists but they both seem relevant.

I'm writing a COM service and am evaluating python as a language for doing
so. I have no probems with COM itself so far, my problem is that the final
code needs to be obfuscated. I've been experimenting with various methods of
"compiling" python code (py2exe, squeeze, sqfreeze) but all of them seem to
have problems with COM.

The py2exe webpage (http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/) says
"py2exe has been used to create a standalone COM server exe-file, although
this is currently in a very early stage" and "Allow local (dll) and inproc
(exe) COM servers to be built" is a "future plan". Does anyone have any more
information about this.

More generally, can anyone help me to compile a COM server using one of the
three packages I've mentioned or one I haven't yet come across.

Thanks,

Rich.