[python-win32] modulator: a C extension skeleton generator

Jorgensen, Jens jens.jorgensen@tallan.com
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 10:15:47 -0600

Someone on the list asked me before what the tool was called that
generates the code skeletons for extension DLLs. I figured it out. Well,
actually, it had an option to generate a .py which would then use a
module to generate the skeleton after you tinkered with the GUI. Inside
of that it had the module name so now I know what it was called:
modulator. It was included with ActivePython 2.0 I think but doesn't
seem to be present in 2.1. It also doesn't come up for a search on the
Vaults of Parnassus. Neither does it show up on a search on the Python
Starship. Where or where has it gone! I notice that the Python
documentation under ActivePython Documentation\Python
Documentation\Extending and Embedding\Extending Python with C and
C++\1.4 The Module's Method Table and Initialization Function it even
mentions using the modulator.py script *and* claims it is in the
distribution. The mystery compounds. A search on Google turns up a post
in 1995 from Guido van Rossum:

> As Tom Culliton mentions, using Jack Jansen's Modulator doesn't
> automate as much for you, but is also very helpful in generating the
> boilerplate... <URL: ftp://ftp.cwi.nl/pub/jack/modulator.tar.gz>

I couldn't hit that ftp site. At long last I found it was still in CVS
on sourceforge. You can get it with:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.python.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/python co
python/dist/src/Tools

--