[python-win32] Getting the current user's email address

Jens B. Jorgensen jens.jorgensen@tallan.com
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 09:51:04 -0600

Actually I wouldn't think this would be simple at all. Why would an IIS
server know the email address of the user that connected to it? If the
server is part of a native win2k domain with Active Directory then the
directory service *might* have the user's email address. Which is to say
that by coincidence user principal name might be the same as the user's
email address. That's what you can get from GetUserNameEx but is not the
same as a user's email address even though it looks like one. On the
other hand if you're running Exchange you may be able to get the user's
email address through the ADSI interface to Exchange. If your Domain
user names are mapped 1-to-1 to Mailbox names in exchange then you
should be able to get the email address with:

adsi_obj = GetObject('LDAP://<exchange server>/cn=<mailbox name (nt user
name)>,cn=Recipients,ou=<whatever your ou is>,o=<whatever was set as the
organization name>')
email_addr = adsi_obj.Get('mail')

The code would be similar if you're lookup up the user in Active
Directory. I don't have AD set up so I couldn't say exactly what the DN
would need to look like, probably something similar to the above minues
the 'cn=Recipients' part.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jens.jorgensen@tallan.com

"With a focused commitment to our clients and our people, we deliver value through customized technology solutions"