[python-win32] I need to walk the Windows registry

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 09:29:15 +1100

A patch to _winreg would be good, but you are probably finding that you are
getting "MBCS" encoded values, and that you can pass MBCS back in.

Eg:

val = val.decode("mbcs")
should get a Unicode string from a returned ASCII string, and passing
unicode.encode("mbcs") should allow Unicode characters to be written.

The best thing would be a _winreg patch, although I am not sure what the
impact on Win9x will be.

Mark.