[python-win32] Best practices for writing extensions in C

Jon Barber jon.barber@acm.org
Sat, 02 Nov 2002 12:25:25 +0000

Hi,

I'm in the process of exposing the Win32 PC/SC subsytem to CPython via a
DLL the usual way, and I have a few questions regarding best practices.
 It's been a while since I've used C (about 9 years) so please bear with me.

1.  I've written it all by hand so far, but is there any benefit to
using SWIG ?  I've exposed all the bits I need, and I don't intend to
use any other scripting language to access the API.  What other reasons
are there for using SWIG ?

2.  What conventions to people use to document the parameters that
python has to supply, and can I make these visible to an end user ?

3.  What is the best way to package up the extension for distribution ?
 Do people use PPM for Win32 extensions ?

Thanks for your patience.

Jon.