[python-win32] "Casting" COM objects

Jens B. Jorgensen jens.jorgensen@tallan.com
Wed, 02 Apr 2003 14:39:46 -0600

Based on the fact that makepy does its work by looking through type
libraries it would be possible for it to generate the type traversal
mechanisms you speak of, but unfortunately (or fortunately?) it doesn't
as far as I know. The wrapper classes that are generated seem to be more
geared towards representing interfaces (thank goodness) rather than the
VB way of typing objects according to class and then making the
interface the same as the default interface. It would certainly be
possible for makepy to generated wrapper classes that could remember
what classID they came from and in that case be able to safely support
type-traversal methods such as you suggest but this doesn't seem to be
the case. "casting" the type by passing the python object reference you
have to the constructor of the object wrapping the interface you want is
the method that I use.