[python-win32] Web-embeddable ActiveX

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Tue, 08 Apr 2003 09:02:19 +1000

> I was writing up a tutorial on how to embed Python binary COM controls
> in web pages when I realized that I had only experienced "success"
> because I had registered the control. Really, the web-embedded control
> wasn't being downloaded at all.
>
> I need it to work in a download, like this:
>
> <OBJECT CLASSID="clsid:B306454A-CAE6-4A74-ACAD-0BB11EF256DD"
> ID="stemTest"  CODEBASE="stem.cab">
>

> I have a feeling that maybe I need an Installer built with this patch:
>
> http://trixie.triqs.com/pipermail/installer/2002-December/000233.html
>
> Is that the problem?

Yep.  There is a theory that "regsvr32" has extensions to allow
Pythoncomxx.dll to do the registration for arbitary .py objects.  While
pythoncom has support for this, I have never digged into it in any detail -
back when I looked at it, that regsvr support was very new and not widely
deployed.

> Let's say I build or borrow an appropriate set of
> binaries, should I then expect that the right way to do this is to build
> a CAB with cabarc or to build a monolithic DLL that represents the whole
> control?

I think the cab.  I'd love to get this working well, and py2exe is on my
list too - spambayes has given me a real life project to use it on :)

Sorry for the delay,

Mark.