[python-win32] Help with a report generator

Bob Gailer bgailer@alum.rpi.edu
Thu Apr 10 20:29:24 EDT 2003

--=======5880361=======

At 11:31 AM 4/10/2003 -0400, KKGOLFER@aol.com wrote:
>  I need to take tables and graphs out of an Excel Workbook and put them
> into various slides in a PowerPoint file.

Using win32com.client you can create instances of excel and powerpoint,
then use VBA commands to extract things from excel and add them to
powerpoint. Try thsi:

import win32com.client

ex = win32com.client.Dispatch("excel.application")
ex.visible = 1 # so you can see the application
wb = ex.workbooks.open('c:\\foo.xls')
wk = ex.Worksheets(1) # worksheet
chartobject1 = wk.chartobjects(1)
chartobject1.Copy()

pp = win32com.client.Dispatch("powerpoint.application")
pp.visible=1
pt = pp.presentations.open('c:\\foo.ppt')
sl = pt.slides(1)
pp.activewindow.view.paste()

This is only an example. VBA provides a lot more functionality.

Bob Gailer
bgailer@alum.rpi.edu
303 442 2625

---