[python-win32] MakePy

Dan Kruger Dan.Kruger at vancoservices.com
Fri Apr 18 15:30:11 EDT 2003

Ooops just realized I sent this reply to just Bob.. Darn Groupwise..
Anyway..

I've had this occur on XP and 2000, but not NT.

You don't happen to have one of the more recent Crystal Reports installed, do you?  There's a known issue that one of the newer Crystal Reports installs will create registry keys that are only accessable at the "System" security level (the one above admin).  Any attempts to read these at any level lower than System will force a crash... be it python, VB's COM object browser, etc.

They did have a patch you have to run as a system-level user (which is done by the "AT" command in the dos prompt).. but I'm afraid I don't know the URL off the top of my head.

Hope that helps.
Dan

>>> "Jens B. Jorgensen" <jens.jorgensen at tallan.com> 04/18/03 09:56AM >>>
I think this seems pretty clearly an NT perms problem, not a Python
problem. Not that I wouldn't offer some help if I had a thought on why
this is occurring, but I don't. For some reason that user does not have
permission. You should be able to add permission to read that key, I'm
not sure why administrator would not have permission but according to
the OS, it doesn't! Are you really logged in as the local account
Administrator or perhaps an account that belongs to the administrator
group or domain admins group? (Not that those other possibilities should
have trouble accessing that key.)

Very strange indeed.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jens.jorgensen at tallan.com

"With a focused commitment to our clients and our people, we deliver value through customized technology solutions"