[python-win32] win32net.NetUseAdd buglet (or doc buglet)

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Wed Apr 23 11:28:44 EDT 2003

> Re: NetUseAdd(), what docs were you looking at? I could see on the
> ActiveState documentation online, that gave a brief
> description of the API
> NetUseAdd()...

Their online docs say "Help file built: 06/04/01", but their docs are as bad
as what I have here - it says almost nothing!!  I can't see how these docs
gave you *any* info about the structure names, without manually looking for
the PyUSE_INFO structures.  I have updated the docs to at least point to the
relevent USE_INFO structure documentation, and it is here that you find the
magic attribute names needed (or in the MSDN docs on these same structures).

ActiveState are a little behind in their releases, but the last major update
to win32net was ages ago.

> then referred to the MSDN website for more
> info, which did
> show a username/password.

What URL?

> You can see in my output, it
> actually *does* work
> (or seems to even if I interact with the mount manually).

Note that these functions will generally ignore elements they don't
understand.  So check that your code actually needs this item at all.

> I just noticed the win32wnet wrappers have MUCH better
> documentation... is
> win32net depreciated or otherwise less desired than win32wnet
> (should I read
> into it that way)?

The win32wnet functions are designed for "simple" tasks, and are available
on Windows 9x.  win32net is more for administration tasks, and is only
available for NT.  win32net can do a real lot, but getting your head around
these level "structure-dictionaries" can be hard.

Mark.