[python-win32] python and COM - in particular Visual SourceSafe Automation and python

Andreas Maurer amapy at snafu.de
Thu May 8 23:04:13 EDT 2003

Hi everybody,

I've a question about a strange behavior about comparing Visual Basic
and python. Don't worry ;-)

I used Visual SourceSafe under python with teh SourceSafe COM-Server

   --> oVSS = win32com.client.Dispatch('SourceSafe').

Everything works fine. I accomplished the makepy-utility and
for the VSSItem-object the GetVersion method was available.

When I try the same in Visual Basic I cant't see the
VSSItem.GetVersion(...) method.

Why does python and win32com find this method in the
right way and how does makepy work, that this
important method is available under python and not under VB?

I will be very appreciated for any hints to solve this mystery

Andi