FW: [python-win32] process creation ID returned as a string, not an int

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Mon Oct 20 04:53:40 EDT 2003

RP> From: Ray Pasco [mailto:pascor at hotpop.com]
RP>
RP> When creating a process and saving the returned ID,
RP> sometime this value is an integer and sometimes
RP> it is a string !

TG> I'll have a go on a Win98 box later today if I get the chance just
TG>  to see if it's any different.

Ah. OK. I've now had a look at what Win98 does, and it looks like
 it manages to mangle the process id beyond recognition. I was getting
 out a negative id while the WMI object's own process id was a positive
 number. Converting using long (hex (id), 16) seemed to give the right
 result, but I didn't get a chance to pass it back in again. (Using
 someone else's machine). Even if it worked it would be, like your
 workaround, a tedious thing to have to do every time.

Not very helpful, I know, but that's probably why I eschew Win98 where
 humanly possible.

TJG

http://www.star.net.uk