[python-win32] Re: How to determine CD-ROM or CD-R?

Qiangning Hong hongqn at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 08:40:30 CET 2004

Tim Golden wrote:
> [Qiangning Hong]
> | How can my program find out the type of disc in my CD-RW
> | drive?  I want
> | my program behaves differently depend on the type: if it is a normal
> | CD-ROM, read data from it; if a recordable CD, burn data onto it.
>
> If you're on Windows, I think WMI can do it. Check out the
> Win32_CDROMDrive class and its Capabilities attribute.

Thanks for your answer.

I installed the wmi module and use the following code to generate
Win32_CDROMDrive's Capabilities:

   >>> import wmi
   >>> c = wmi.WMI()
   >>> cds = c.CDROMDrive()
   >>> cds
   [<wmi._wmi_object instance at 0x00EDC508>]
   >>> cds[0].Capabilities
   (3, 7)

I have only one CD-RW drive with an empty CD-R disc inserted.  It is
expected that the capability "4" (write access) should be in
cds[0].Capabilities.  However it isn't there.