[python-win32] remote copy with compress/decompress

python at kareta.de python at kareta.de
Mon Dec 13 15:52:57 CET 2004

Hello,

I'm wondering if i try a good solution for the following problem:

We have an old DOS Application running on a W2K-Server which uses normal
DOS-print and a workstation(w2k) in an outlet connected to the server via VPN.
The workstation uses remote desktop to run the software and prints to LPT 1,2,3
on the server. If I redirect the servers LPT's to a lokal printer of the
workstation, printing is to slow. So I need a solution for this.

My solution is as follow:
1: capture DOS-print to file =>solved
2: compress printfile => solved

3: open a socket, transfer file to desktop
4: decompress file
step 3 and 4 is to develop a socket with python

5: print it on lokal printer => solved

What do you think about it. I think of sockets because step 4 should be done
automatically when the file arrives at the workstation. Otherwise I have to
check a directory on the workstation for incomming files every 20 seconds.

Sorry, for asking a question that is not pure python. But I'm still learning
and to know that python is not good for that, helps me also out :-)

regards,
Jürgen