[python-win32] Re: DLL spec

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Tue Dec 14 17:20:22 CET 2004

Tony Cappellini <tony at tcapp.com> writes:

> This isn't really a purely-Python question, but ...
> I want to write a small Python app that dumps the contents of DLL's.
> I know there is a program called bindump or something similar that
> comes with VC6, which shows you the name of the callable routines,
> their entry points, and some other info, for a DLL whose name is
> passed to this utility.
>
> However, I don't know how this information is obtained. Is there a DLL
> "spec" that talks about the structure of a Microsoft DLL ?

Executable files on windows are in "Portable Executable Format".
Wikipedia for example has some links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Executable

For a script in Python, I posted something that may help you getting
started to the ctypes-users list, some time ago:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.ctypes.user/432

Thomas