[python-win32] w32process documentation

Andrey Ivanov ai2009 at yandex.ru
Tue Dec 21 19:45:27 CET 2004

Hello Stefan,

SS> Hello,

SS> I'm looking for documentation for the win32process module. The online docs
SS> don't seem to contain anything about it. Specifically, I'm looking for
SS> information concerning the 'CreateProcess' call.
SS> I'm debugging an application where a call to 'CreateProcess' generates
SS> an error about the file not being found. As the path is set in the
SS> system-wide
SS> environment, I'm wondering whether that environment is actually used during
SS> the call
SS> (I'm passing 'None' to the environment argument to CreateProcess()).

SS> Thanks for your help,
SS> 		Stefan

And  how  do  you  pass  an  executable  name? CreateProcess() has two
executable  name related parameters (appName, commandLine) and Windows
uses  different  search  strategy  for  each  one of them. If you want
Windows  to  search for your executable using PATH you should use None
instead  of  appName  and  pass  the name of executable in commandLine
parameter.

As  to environment parameter, you should always set it to None, unless
you want to completely redefine the environment.

By  the  way,  you  shouldn't count on pywin32 help. They don't aim to
reproduce MSDN. So when in doubt use Microsoft's help. It is clear and
well written.

--
Andrey