[python-win32] w32process documentation

Jimmy Retzlaff jimmy at retzlaff.com
Tue Dec 21 18:02:50 CET 2004

Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> I'm looking for documentation for the win32process module. The online
docs
> don't seem to contain anything about it. Specifically, I'm looking for
> information concerning the 'CreateProcess' call.
> I'm debugging an application where a call to 'CreateProcess' generates
> an error about the file not being found. As the path is set in the
> system-wide
> environment, I'm wondering whether that environment is actually used
> during
> the call
> (I'm passing 'None' to the environment argument to CreateProcess()).

These functions are typically very thin wrappers around the
corresponding Win32 API so you can usually use Microsoft's documentation
to answer questions like these. In this case it would appear that if you
specify the executable name in appName then the search path is not used.
If, instead, you specify it in the commandLine parameter the search path
is used. The details are at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dllproc/base/createprocess.asp

Does this explain what you are observing?

Jimmy