[python-win32] pythonNN.dll and msvc's delayload (linking)

Peter Zelezny pzel at dodo.com.au
Tue Jan 6 07:48:57 EST 2004

Hi All,

This is a question about python 2.3's dll file, and linking with it.

I'm the author of xchat (www.xchat.org), and with it I distribute a
plugin that allows you to run python scripts. Obviously, most windows
users won't have python installed, so I still want the program to work,
without the python features, when python23.dll is missing.

The FAQ mentions using LoadLibrary/GetProcAddress... I think this is
impractical, because you have to write different code for the windows
and unix versions of the program.

Trying to link it with MSVC's /delayload parameter, I get this error:

LINK : fatal error LNK1194: cannot delay-load 'python23.dll' due to import of
data symbol '__imp___Py_NoneStruct'; link without /DELAYLOAD:python23.dll

I've actually used /delayload with "data" and "function" symbols before, and
it hasn't caused any problems (with tcl and perl). Only with python2x.dll I
get stuck.

Does someone know what the problem could be?

--
Peter.