[python-win32] How to determine whether program running asservice?

David Rushby davidrushby at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 6 19:22:39 CEST 2004

Mark, did you come to any conclusion as to if/how a Python program will
be able to ask "am-I-running-as-a-service" in future versions of
pywin32?

As a reminder, here are some of the proposals discussed on this list in
early September:
--------------------------
A) sys.serviceexecutable - attribute containing the name of the
executable; would only be present if program running as service
--------------------------
B) servicemanager.is_service - boolean
   servicemanager.is_debugging - boolean
--------------------------
C) servicemanager.RunningAsService() -> bool
   [To match the extant servicemanager.Debugging() -> bool]

Toward the end of the discussion, you agreed that servicemanager,
rather than sys, was the natural location for this functionality, so
that eliminates A.

Your next proposal was B (boolean attributes), which is fine, but I
suggested C (boolean functions) for the sake of symmetry with the
existing function servicemanager.Debugging().

Thanks for your time.  Is there anything I can do to help ensure that
this functionality (regardless of the specific API) makes it into the
next release?