[python-win32] Strange PythonWin IDE crash, now persistent

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Mon Sep 13 01:03:15 CEST 2004

> PythonWin has been working well for me as an IDE, until I
> started working
> with wxPython, when I experienced a crash of PythonWin while
> trying to debug
> a wxPython app.  After searching around, I've found that
> PythonWin might not
> like having code from other toolkits running in its debugger.  While I
> appreciate that, my problem is much worse: even after
> rebooting, every time
> I try to start PythonWin, I now get the main PythonWin window
> with an empty
> (no prompt) Interactive Window, and a modal error message
> window pops up
> titled "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library" with the contents:
>
> "Runtime Error!
>
> Program: C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin\Pythonwin.exe
>
> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in
> an unusual
> way.  Please contact the application's support team for more
> information."
>
> When I click on the OK button, PythonWin closes down.

That is a bit nasty.  The only guesses off the top of my head are duplicate
python23.dll or pywintypes23.dll.  Another alternative would be a bad
"PythonPath", or more likely, "Modules" key in the Python part of the
registry.

And finally, try nuking the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Python
2.3", and all subkeys - that is where Pythonwin config options are stored.

Mark