[python-win32] Re: Mozilla address book and the ever smiling snake

Paul_S_Johnson at mnb.uscourts.gov Paul_S_Johnson at mnb.uscourts.gov
Wed Sep 22 23:23:18 CEST 2004

python-win32-bounces at python.org wrote on 09/22/2004 12:17:07 AM:

> Alex Willmer wrote:
> > I believe the closest equivalent is PyXPCOM:
> >
> > http://public.activestate.com/pyxpcom/
> >
> > However I've no experience of it, and it looks (from the docs) as
> > though one must specially compile Mozilla to use it.
>
> I spent several hours trying to work out how to use pyxpcom,
> and also wanted it for Linux and Mac.  I just couldn't see
> how it could be done without rebuilding some or all of Mozilla,
> and further issues with binary compatibility etc.

I had a similar experience, set it aside, and then noticed that the author
of xpcom had done an update. I tried it again and voila I got it working
with binary Firefox as described by the author. However, I haven't had a
chance to take it any farther than that. Looked like a significant
learning curve learning XPCOM from the ground up especially with not that
many learning resource available at present. Very attractive technology,
however, open source and cross-platform with tight integration into the
whole webby/xml thing. Building XUL apps is definitely on my to do list.
Here's one of the coolest examples I've seen to date:
http://www.faser.net/mab/  or directly to app:
http://www.faser.net/mab/chrome/content/mab.xul (this works only with
recent Mozilla or Firefox).