[python-win32] Mozilla address book and the ever smiling snake

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Wed Sep 29 09:46:27 CEST 2004

Graeme Glass wrote:

>I am trying to access mozilla's address book in a similar manner to
>the way one accesses the address book in outlook.
>
>ie: object = win32com.client.Dispatch("Outlook.Application")
>
>but it is not wanting to happen for me. If anyone has any ideas, would be great.
>
>Thanks, Graeme

Hi Graeme

There was a message on the Chandler mailing list about this:
http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/dev/2004-February/001224.html
Which points to this (the link in the actual mail is incorrect):
http://wiki.osafoundation.org/twiki/bin/viewauth/Jungle/MozillaMailStatus
The PyConnect info is here:
http://wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/Jungle/MozMailStatus0

An alternative approach would be to read the address book file directly.
See http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2004-July/230770.html
for an email that doesn't tell you how to do it :-)
Or http://www.tcs.informatik.uni-muenchen.de/~abel/mozab2pine/ for
something that uses Awk

All in all, it doesn't look easy...

David