[python-win32] PyWin saving interactive window -- possible bug?

Brian van den Broek bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca
Sun Apr 10 21:32:59 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I have come across some PythonWin behaviour I don't understand.
(Python 2.4.1, pywin32 extensions (build 203), WindowsMe)

In a PythonWin session with the interactive window active, if I try to
save the interactive window (no matter which way I invoke the save
routine) a "Save As" dialog pops up, with the filename pre-filed to
`Interactive Window'. Yet no attempt to save, either under the default
name or a different name, actually results in a saved file.

Further, if I select a pre-existing file as the file to save to, the
content is not saved *and* the pre-existing file is deleted.

This strikes me as a bad thing. :-)  I would like to be able to save
interactive windows (as IDLE allows), but not being able to do so is
not too dire a problem. What *is* pretty dire IMHO, is that the
interface leaves me thinking I have indeed successfully saved, even
though I have not. (Having been burned once, I won't be again, but it
still seems buggy.)

Is my installation of PythonWin or the extension package possibly
mis-configured? Or have I detected a bug?

(I did search for previous posts via gmane
<http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.windows>, but came up empty.)

I'm getting the list as a digest, so might not be prompt in responding
further.

Thanks and best to all,

Brian vdB