[python-win32] Python Win32 Licensing

Bill Burns billburns at pennswoods.net
Wed Aug 17 06:07:32 CEST 2005

I have some questions regarding the Python Win32 packages and licensing.
I've 'Googled' for an answer and searched the Python Win32 archives but
haven't come up with anything.

I have the GPL'ed versions of QT 3.3.4 and Pyqt 3.13 installed on my
Windows box (compiled with MinGW).

I've created a GUI app (using the above) that prints plot files (*.plt).
This app uses win32print.

As I understand it, since I've used GLP'ed Qt & Pyqt, if I were to
distribute my app, it would have to be under the GPL as well.

My question is, would it be acceptable/allowable to use win32print
within my GPL'ed application?

If I use py2exe, the 'dist' folder contains pywintypes24.dll and
win32print.pyd. Would these libraries be able to be distributed with the
app, as well?

I apologize for the licensing questions especially if this is not the
right forum. I just want to make sure that I do the right thing. I do
*not* want to distribute something if it is specifically *not* allowed.
I've only been doing this as hobby and I'm not a programmer so this is
another reason as to why I'm unsure of the correct answers.

I would certainly distribute the source code with the program and
include any needed copyright notices for the libraries used, if required.

At this time I do *not* want to distribute the app, but if I clean it up
and get everything working correctly, I may want to in the near future.

I suspect that with the recent release of QT 4 GPL for Windows and with
the coming release of Pyqt 4 GPL for Windows, these types of questions
will come up more often.

Thank you for your help,

Bill Burns