[python-win32] Python Win32 Licensing

Bill Burns billburns at pennswoods.net
Wed Aug 17 12:48:48 CEST 2005

>>I have some questions regarding the Python Win32 packages and licensing.
>>I've 'Googled' for an answer and searched the Python Win32 archives but
>>haven't come up with anything.
>

> There are 3 License.txt file in the distribution.  IIRC, these were just
> MIT-style templates and have very few restrictions on redistribution.  In
> the future these are likely to be re-licensed under the PSA licence - but
> the intent is that they have no more restrictions than Python itself.
>

>>My question is, would it be acceptable/allowable to use win32print
>>within my GPL'ed application?
>

> I think so, but IANAL.  I believe nothing in the pywin32 licenses prevent
> this and it is my intention that it be OK.  I can't comment on if it is OK
> from the GPL's POV though.
>
> I hope that helps.  The short answer is that *I* won't try and sue you! :)

Mark,

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it! I guess I need to look into
the GPL compatibility 'side of things'. According to the FSF, the
current Python license is compatible and I believe the MIT-style license
is as well.

Thank you for the *excellent* win32 packages!! You have done some great
work!!

Bill