[python-win32] Newbie question. Python asp and diacritic characters

mikael.mikaelsson@ltdalarna.se mikael.mikaelsson at ltdalarna.se
Mon Dec 12 17:38:29 CET 2005

Hello,

I'm new to Python and also to asp. I started checking those two out just a couple of days ago.

Anyway, things seems to work fine except that diacritic characters like the Swedish ÅåÄäÖö generate a "HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error".

This example generates the error:
------------------------------------
<%@ LANGUAGE = Python%>
<%
sGreetings = "Hälsningar från Python<br>"
Response.Write(sGreetings)
sGreetings = "(Greetings from Python)"
Response.Write(sGreetings)
%>
------------------------------------

If I replace the literal diacrites with escape codes for these characters, things work allright.
This code works:
-----------------------------------
<%@ LANGUAGE = Python%>
<%
sGreetings = "H\xe4lsningar fr\xe5n Python<br>"
Response.Write(sGreetings)
sGreetings = "(Greetings from Python)"
Response.Write(sGreetings)
%>

Is this a bug in the python asp-lib or is there some setting for non-english charsets? I do not get this error if I run python as cgi with the diacrits included. Also checked that asp under vbscript works allright with these characters.

Is there anyone encountered this problem, and perhaps also found a solution/workaround?

Best regards,
Mikael Mikaelsson
Falu lasarettsbibliotek, Falun, Sweden