[python-win32] Need some Python Help!

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Fri Feb 25 20:19:43 CET 2005

Matt Upton wrote:

>Hello, I am new to Python and am trying to produce script to run batch
>processes for ArcGIS 9.0 (ArcView).  I have upgraded to Phython 2.4 from 2.1
>and am using the Pythonwin to try to code but am running into a problem.
>Whenever I try to debug my program or run any code past the following code
>it gets hung up and crashes, quits, no warning, and no messages.  HELP, what
>is the problem, it is getting very frustrating.
>

>>>import win32com.client, sys, os
>>>gp = win32com.client.Dispatch("esriGeoprocessing.GPDispatch.1")
>>>gp.workspace = "c:/Program Files/ArcGIS/NAS

Python extensions such as pywin32 and ESRIs ArcGIS libraries are
compiled against a paticular major version of the python binaries.

Hence you can't use extensions compiled for Python 2.1 with Python 2.4,
it crashes, as you've discovered. This is why ESRI distribute Python 2.1
with ArcGIS 9.0.

Uninstall Python and reinstall it from the ArcGIS CD.

Regards
Alex