[python-win32] return pramater in com object function

Gijs Korremans gijs at globaltrack.com
Thu Jun 2 14:58:25 CEST 2005

Hi,

One of the functions in the com object I need to use has a pointer in one of it's functions
(object.function(string input, struct * output))

(I've created the struct with win32com.client.Record("structure", object))

I've tried to use the id() function but then Python gives me a message that it's an int, not a tructure
and when I just give the object without a pointer, the object is still empty afterwards.

In the mailinglist archive I saw this message from Mark Hammond:
"Well, their IDL is at fault, and it clearly should be marked as [in,out]. All we should need to do is to get the makepy generated code for this function, and change the last "type tuple" for this function. It will be a tuple of, eg (pythoncom.VT_OBJECT, pythoncom.PARAMFLAG_FIN). Telling Python it is really _FIN | _FOUT should do the trick"

So I opened the by genPy generated file and tried to change the last tuple from _ApplyTypes_ but it was already 2 (PARAMFLAG_FOUT):
return self._ApplyTypes_(1, 1, (24, 0), ((8, 1), (36, 2)), 'SetIDString', None,inID, outID)

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Kind regards,

Gijs

dangerous content by Network Sentry, and is
believed to be clean.
http://www.networksentry.co.za