[python-win32] Interfacing to windows explorer

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed Jun 8 19:15:52 CEST 2005

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 14:14:32 -0400 (EDT), Roop Mukherjee
<bmukherj at shoshin.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

>I have a python app that runs on my machine. I want to use IE as a front
>end to it. To that end I want to start up a new IE window when this
>program is run, and respond to all events on the window (like clicks or
>form submissions) by calling functions in a python module. I want this to
>run on machine's that do not run web servers.

I'm going to check out some of the ActiveX proposals suggested here, but
I wanted to point out that it is very easy to embed a small web server
into a Python application.  The standard library contains a simple but
functional web server, but a package like CherryPy gives you a robust
solution with built-in command handling and template support.

I've delivered several internal GUI applications as CherryPy apps.
People are comfortable using IE as a user interface, and it's a lot
easier than wxPython (even though I like wxPython a lot).

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com