[python-win32] The VARIANT type is not supported for SAFEARRAYS

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Sat Jun 25 01:13:52 CEST 2005

> I asked the guy who made the COM object to change the last
> varibale of the struc to a string, but now the message shown
> is " The VARIANT type is not supported for SAFEARRAYS"
>
> Does anyone knows what's wrong?

This means that win32com was asked to create a SAFEARRAY of a type it does
not understand (The message should say "This VARIANT type..." - but I've
changed it to read "The Variant type 0xXX is ...")

win32com only supports SAFEARRAYS types supported by IDispatch.  These are
VT_VARIANT, VT_UI1, VT_I2, VT_I4, VT_R4, VT_R8, VT_BSTR, VT_DISPATCH,
VT_UNKNOWN and VT_DATE.

Mark