[python-win32] Re: filling Windows properties "Summary" tab?

Roger Upole rwupole at msn.com
Tue Jun 28 20:23:16 CEST 2005

R. Alan Monroe wrote:

>>> They are per-file settings, but, if I filled them in for a .py file,
>>> they would persist only on this machine, but not if the file is
>>> copied to another Windows box, and are unavailable on the Samba
>>> server.
>>
>>Try it with an .mp3 file. I bet it will survive being copied to
>>another machine. They're saved in the id3 tags.
>
> Nope, I copied an mp3 to another PC in the workgroup, and it does not
> persist.
> I have found a dll for this though:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9ba6fac6-520b-4a0a-878a-53ec8300c4c2&DisplayLang=en
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;224351
> The Dsofile.dll sample file is an in-process ActiveX component for
> programmers that use Microsoft Visual Basic .NET or the Microsoft .NET
> Framework. You can use this in your custom applications to read and to
> edit the OLE document properties that are associated with Microsoft Office
> files, such as the following:
> "Microsoft Excel workbooks
> "Microsoft PowerPoint presentations
> "Microsoft Word documents
> "Microsoft Project projects
> "Microsoft Visio drawings
> "Other files without those Office products installed
>

> and
> http://blogs.msdn.com/gstemp/archive/2004/02/25/79867.aspx
> that has some info.
>
> Ray

There are actually 2 different implentations of document properties.
The COM implementation embems them directly in the file itself, but
this only works for documents created by COM applications.  (Office, etc).

On NTFS 5 (Win2k or later),  you can add Summary info to any file,
and it's stored in alternate data streams.  However, if you copy the
file to a filesystem that doesn't support alternate data streams, the
properties
are lost.

            Roger