[python-win32] system() fails, win32process succeeds

Ray Schumacher rays at blue-cove.com
Wed Jun 29 23:06:58 CEST 2005

Hi Roger,

At 12:42 PM 6/29/2005, Roger Upole wrote:

>I ran into something similar a while back that turned out to be a deficiency
>in the called
>program.  It wasn't taking into account the fact that it might not be able
>to acquire resources in a timely manner.

I think that is the case, but I didn't write the exe and so can't (won't) modify it;
the Python program itself is in no hurry, wx just returns to mainloop() after the call.

>If you use os.popen to run the executable,
>can you get
>any kind of error message back ?

Thanks for the idea, I hadn't tried popen, if I have time I'll investigate.

I was using:
        cmdLine = 'FixTRC.exe "'+outfilePath+'"'
        os.system(cmdLine)

and switched to:
        StartupInfo = win32process.STARTUPINFO()
        StartupInfo.dwFlags = win32process.STARTF_USESHOWWINDOW
        StartupInfo.wShowWindow = win32con.SW_HIDE
        processHndl, primary_thread, pid, tid = win32process.CreateProcess(
                None,
                cmdLine,
                None, None, 0,
                win32process.REALTIME_PRIORITY_CLASS,