[python-win32] Inserting a dictionary of lists into '__main__' of an embedded interpreter

quadric@primenet.com quadric at primenet.com
Thu May 26 18:40:53 CEST 2005

Hi,

I have an application that has an embedded interpreter.  This application
loads many
DLL's and passes a PyObject *  to each DLL that was gotten from the
following call:

PyObject * pmod = PyImport_AddModule("__main__") ;

Later, in one of the many DLL's that interact with the embedded
interpreter, I attempt to insert
a dictionary of lists into the module represented by the pointer
'pmod'  passed to the DLL from the
main application.

The dictionary of lists is created with the following call:

PyObject * abm_dict = Py_BuildValue( "{s:O,s:O,s:O,s:O,s:O,s:O,s:O,s:O,s:O}" ,
					         "i_list" ,   i_list ,   "l_list"   ,   l_list  ,
"bpl_list"  , bpl_list,
                                                                   "rt_list"
,  rt_list , "st_list"   ,st_list   ,  "u2_list"  , u2_list ,
                                                                    "t_list"
, t_list   ,"ot_list"  , ot_list  ,  "plt_list" , plt_list
    					       );

where each item following a quoted string is a PyObject *  created by
another Py_BuildValue  statement.

After building 'abm_dict' , I attempt to insert it into the embedded
interpreter with the following call:

PyModule_AddObject( pmod , "abm_dict" , abm_dict );

The application crashes at this point.

Being a bit new to embedded Python, I don't readily see what I'm doing
wrong.  Could one of you more
experienced guys save me a whole lot of time and point out the obvious to me.

Thanks for your help.