[python-win32] Python as scripting glue, WAS Python for sysadmin

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed Dec 13 18:07:36 CET 2006

Tim Golden wrote:
> There was a recent thread on python-dev in which
> GvR was surprised at the (large) number of .msi
> downloads from Python.org, indicating how popular
> Python might be among Windoweers.

I'm surprised he was surprised.  Better than 90% of the desktops in the
world run Windows, so statistically speaking, 90% of the downloads
should be from Windows users.  (Note that I'm ignoring the inconvenient
fact that a much lower percentage of those Windows users have are
technically competent enough to be interested in Python at all.)

The simple fact that the Windows command shell sucks means that we NEED
tools more than the Linux community.  Many of the jobs that I tackle
with Python would be more appropriate with awk or bash or sed on Linux.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com