[python-win32] Python as scripting glue, WAS Python for sysadmin

Bob Gailer bgailer at alum.rpi.edu
Fri Dec 15 06:44:42 CET 2006

Bokverket wrote:
> Tim and Michael,
>
> I am a Python neophyte and must admit that I am not familiar with all those
> Python library names that swish around this list. But that was not my point.
> The tasks on Michael's list that he has done/helped out with lately are to a
> large extent useful jobs that an ordinary user would love. Well, at least
> one who know how to program, iow use Python as _the_ scripting language to
> glue all these Micrsoft parts and apps together.  This would require a
> wonderful Python-ish API on how to access for example Outlook Express
> address lists, Word and the file system.  Plus some wonderful examples of
> useful examples and how to execute them in a Window environment..
>
> IOW, making Python for Windows what AWK was for DOS :-)

I'm confused. http://www.vectorsite.net/tsawk.html states "The Awk
text-processing programming language is a useful and simple tool for
manipulating text". I don't see anything like "access for example
Outlook Express address lists, Word, ..."
> Does this library already exist, easy-to-use?

I have under development a Python implementation of IBM's CMS Pipelines,
which is in essence a "super AKW and Linux/Unix pipes" all in 1 package.
Would you like to hear more?

--
Bob Gailer
510-978-4454