[python-win32] Python as scripting glue, WAS Python for sysadmin

Bob Gailer bgailer at alum.rpi.edu
Sun Dec 17 03:31:39 CET 2006

Bokverket wrote:
> Bob Gailer's keyboard emitted:
>
> I have under development a Python implementation of IBM's CMS Pipelines,
> which is in essence a "super AKW and Linux/Unix pipes" all in 1 package.
> Would you like to hear more?
>

> -- Indeed.
NOTES FOR INTERESTED USERS/DEVELOPERS

My work is a PC "version" of IBM's CMS Pipelines.

See wikipedia for how CMS Pipelines is an extension of the unix concept:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartmann_pipeline
also from wikipedia "CMS Pipelines
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartmann_pipeline> is a port of the
pipeline idea to VM/CMS <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VM/CMS> and MVS
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MVS> systems. It supports much more
complex pipeline structures than Unix shells, with steps taking multiple
input streams and producing multiple output streams. (Such functionality
is supported by the Unix kernel, but few programs use it.) Due to the
different nature of IBM mainframe operating systems, it implements many
steps inside CMS Pipelines which in Unix are separate external programs,
but can also call separate external programs for their functionality.
Also, due to the record-oriented nature of files on IBM mainframes,
pipelines operate in a record-oriented, rather than stream-oriented manner."

Suggested reading:

reference manual:
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/FRAMESET/HCSG5A20/CCONTENTS?SHELF=HCSH2A50&DN=SC24-5971-00&DT=20001214155915

user guide:
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/FRAMESET/HCSH1A20/CCONTENTS?SHELF=HCSH2A50&DN=SC24-5970-00&DT=20001214154939

Start with the reference. Much of the initial material will seem simple,
as it is basic pipe stuff. But scan thru and keep reading.
1.1.6 Built-in Stage has a like to the built-in stages. This list is
important. I'm implementing some but not all of them, as some are
mainframe-specific, and some are way too complex for now.
1.1.7 User-Written Stage refers to REXX - substitute Python for REXX
here and anywhere else.
1.1.8 Filter - filters are listed and discussed in the user guide chapter 2.
I would stop at the end of chapter 3 in the reference.
In the user guide chapter 1 repeats some of the reference, but is worth
at least a scan.
Chapter 2 Filters is crucial
3 Host Commands is mainframe-specific. Replace this with our ability to
run and interact with processes from Python
4 Device Drivers is important,  translating of course from mainframe to PC
5 Writing Stages - refers to REXX and Assember. Replace with Python and
understand my user-written stage uses a different model.
6 Multistream Pipelines is also VERY important. This is one of the
extensions over unix pipes.

--
Bob Gailer
510-978-4454