[python-win32] Dismounting a USB flash drive

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 18:20:15 CET 2006

On 1/13/06, Tim Golden <mail at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
> Well, according to this message:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win32.programmer.wmi/msg/799622aef19f9a3c
>
> it's not supported in WMI. Which is a shame because
> it would be quite useful. Maybe someone more win32
> API-oriented might have some idea.

Tim,
Thanks for looking into this. I found a command line program (devcon,
available from MS Knowledge Base article 311272 -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q311272) which
allows you to disable/remove/etc USB devices. But a few experiments
made me realise that there's more to it than a simple "unplug" command
- I managed to get all sorts of odd effects (drive "ejected" but still
"plugged", through to the driver reinstalling itself when I inserted
the drive again). I suspect that it's too easy to get things in a
nasty state.

So I'm sticking with a manual click on the tray icon, as the only way
I'm not scared of, for now :-)

Thanks for the help in any case,
Paul.