[python-win32] Problems getting a PythonCOM server to communicate with VB .NET

Moof moof at metamoof.net
Tue Jan 31 16:42:13 CET 2006

I have the following code:

class SynchronousProxy:
    _reg_progid_ = 'KukaburraCom.SynchronousProxy'
    _reg_clsid_ = '{138FA88E-635D-4470-97A8-A9FF43F8E23D}'
    _public_methods_ = ['connect', 'poll', 'get_rooms']

    def connect(self, host, port):
    pass # real code here

    def poll(self, idnum):
        pass

    def get_rooms(self, module, idnum):
        pass

And I have registered it correctly. I can use it with
win32com.client.Dispatch no problem.

When I try to CreateObject('KukaburraCom.SynchronousProxy') in VB6, the
object creates and works with no problems. Howver in Visual Basic.NET (more
specifically, as run from ASP.NET) I get the exception: "Cannot create
ActiveX component." on the CreateObject line. The specific code is:

Dim Alloca as Object
Alloca = CreateObject("KukaburraCom.SynchronousProxy")
Alloca.connect("192.168.0.199")

And fails on the second line.

I have tried registering it with debug enabled, and the trace collector
doesn't show anything. So, what am I doing wrong? What's the difference
between VB6 and VB.NET in this case?

Moof