[python-win32] Building win32 extensions to Python

James Carroll mrmaple at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 14:27:36 CEST 2006

> Thanks for your responses.  I went ahead and tried MinGW.  I was able to
> build and use screengrabber and other examples.  I also used it as an
> example and created successfully a very simple "hello python" extension.

Fantastic!  they must be more (binary) compatable than I thought.

> What am I or will I be losing by using MinGW instead of Visual Studio?

The only thing that I've read consistently is that VisualStudio does a
better job of optimizing code.  Otherwise, you might not be losing
anything.  (I have no love for the IDE itself.)

Have fun with wxWidgets + C++ extensions.  I think it's a killer
combination.  I'm doing some work with live video plus antialised
rendering plus the html virtual list control that is coming together
very well.  My only hurdle is py2exe can't make a single executable
out of it... Py2exe can create a package with a dozen files, but I was
hoping for a nice tiny bundle.

-Jim