[python-win32] pywintypes24.dll necessary??

Dean Allen Provins dprovins at tridentexploration.ca
Thu Jun 22 16:49:35 CEST 2006

Hello:

The user's requirement was for a batch program to process hundreds of files - so
I wrote one on Linux, and ported it to WinXP Professional.  It is a command line
driven routine that works very well on Linux, but is hampered (as I discovered)
by the MS treatment of DOS windows (no copy/paste allowed - as far as I can tell).

It works fine, EXCEPT the python mainline (batch.py) suggests that it will NOT
execute unless file 'pywintypes24.dll' is in the same directory.  A dialog pops
up to say that the application can't execute because a required component (the
DLL) can't be found, but then it starts up with the message:

"import testing -> failed:  DLL load failed:  The specified module could not be
found."

and continues, apparently normally.  I'm not importing anything called
"testing".  The message is annoying and impacts the credibility of the code (and
me).

Since the user's data might be in different places (at different times) it is a
little inconvenient for them to ensure that the mainline and the DLL are
conveniently located to minimize typing long path names to the data.  This
results from Windows users being so used to "clicking" that they've forgotten
how to work at the command line, so to cut down on the typing, it is necessary
to move the mainline, and the DLL file to the data directory.

Is there a way to eliminate the need for this DLL?

Regards,

Dean

Confidentiality Notice:  The information transmitted herein may
contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged material which
belongs to Trident Exploration Corp. and its affiliates and is
intended only for the addressee(s).  Any unauthorized review,
distribution or other use or the taking of any action in reliance
upon this information is prohibited.  If you received this email in
error, please contact the sender or call (403) 770-1765 and delete
this email and any copies.