[python-win32] Pythoncom error

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Thu Mar 16 13:05:23 CET 2006

> Here's the thing; I took your advice and kept an eye out for errors
> related to the debugger support and fixed them when I found them
> (often with a just quick try except clause as you suggested, I'll
> revisit them when I get time),

Please do, and feed the changes you made back to me (even if I change them
before adopting them)

> there where three locations where the
> debugger code raised exceptions. After making those changes my
> application has become significantly more stable. Is it possible that
> the debugger support code is running all the time, even when a
> debugger is not attached?

Yes, that is correct.  See SetScriptSite in
win32comext\axscript\client\framework.py - this code enables debugging
support quite early on, and before it is actually requested.  This could
almost certainly be optimized (although the overhead of that, assuming it
works correctly, should be low.)

As you should see from that code, allowing self.debugManager to remain None
should gracefully work without debugging support.  Renaming the
win32comext\axdebug directory away should cause that :)

> "WARNING:Ignoring Keyboard Interrupt from scripting engine" and
> everything continues as normal, I'm think that producing that warning
> used to cause a raised exception and kill my app. Does any of this
> sound feasible?

Sure does!  Sadly that "Ignoring..." message is worming around a very old
problem I have with IIS and the "random" triggering of Ctrl+C signals that
so far remains unexpained :(  On the positive side, since adding that
work-around (a number of years ago now), people have reported their problems
caused by the lack of the work around vanished (ie, that message should be
benign)

Cheers,

Mark