[python-win32] Outlook Addin Help

Bill Burns billburns at pennswoods.net
Fri May 12 23:12:17 CEST 2006

Bobby wrote:
> I honestly can't remember if folder references in VB were required to be released, or should I say Microsoft "suggested" it.  It's thankfully been way TOO LONG since I last touched VB and Outlook to remember, but I definitely remember the MAPI namespace references had to be set to Nothing.  VB would look something like this.
>
> 	outlookApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
> 	olNameSpace = outlookApp.GetNameSpace("MAPI")
> 	olActiveExplorer = outlookApp.ActiveExplorer
>
> Based on your code snippet below, I don't know if your referencing the MAPI namespace.  It may not be required if you're just referencing current and default folders using ActiveExplorer.  Sorry man, I just don't remember enough about it.  I only dabbled as it was.  Hope this helps.

Bobby,

I think the problem is with the ActiveExplorer object(s). When I get
them "released" or set to None, then Outlook is happy to shutdown
immediately (even when *other* interfaces are still referenced). If the
ActiveExplorer object(s) are still referenced, then Outlook stays in
memory (apparently to do some clean up).

So, I'm looking into releasing the ActiveExplorer objects (well, all of
the objects, but especially the ActiveExplorer), then I think I'll have
the problem solved (fingers crossed).

Thank you!

Bill