[python-win32] Adobe Flash MX & Python

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Mon Sep 11 21:55:14 CEST 2006

Christian Menge wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> We have been C developers for years and have decided to try a couple
> projects using Python. I'm very excited about the potential gains we
> mayl achieve using this language.
>
> We have a couple .SWF files that I want to play with a Python
> application. I've installed Python for Windows and did some reading
> about the COM controls. I've been able to import a Flash COM object
> but not having much success making the movie PLAY. I also found an
> article detailing how to use wxPython with Flash...but I was wondering
> if it was possible to NOT use wxPython.
>
> Are there any samples that I could use to get my Flash movie up and
> running?

Flash needs a window to play in.  wxPython is probably the easiest way
to get that window, but you can also create windows using win32ui and
PythonWin.  PythonWin is a relatively thin layer around MFC.  If you've
done MFC for years, that might feel more comfortable.  There are samples
in the python-win32 distribution.

However, in the long term, I suspect you'd be happier with wxPython...

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com