[python-win32] py2exe all of it

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Tue Feb 13 20:42:56 CET 2007

Wedge & Lever wrote:
> At work, bringing in an executable to use is no big deal, but
> installing anything takes an act of congress.  Because of this, I was
> going to try to py2exe everything you get with the windows installer,
> wxPython, and pyOpenGL.  My goal is basically a complete python
> distribution that does not need to install anything.

What is your definition of "install"?  All that the Python installer
does is copy a bunch of files and create registry entries.  Indeed,
that's all that ANY installer does.

So, you could just zip up your \Python24 directory from home, export a
few keys from the registry, then unzip the zip and import the registry
files on your machine at work.  You would have done exactly what the
installer did, and have a fully functional Python installation.

But what is the point?  The Python installer is just an executable.  If
you can run a py2exe executable, why can't you run the Python installer
executable?

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.